Everything you need to know about dermal fillers
What are dermal fillers?
Dermal filler injections are a non-surgical treatment which can be used to restore lost volume such as under eye hollowing or to accentuate features such as cheekbones and lips.
At the Light Touch Clinic we only offer dermal fillers made from hyaluronic acid.
This ingredient is naturally found within the body which makes it very compatible – no need for a patch test. As well as adding volume, hyaluronic acid also keeps skin hydrated and soft – an excellent skin refresher.
How long do the results last?
Hyaluronic acid dermal fillers are slowly broken down by the body over a period of months which means that the results are non-permanent. The exact amount of time depends on a) how fast your body metabolises the hyaluronic acid b) your lifestyle and c) the area treated. However, you can expect dermal filler to last 6 months+.
One of the main advantages of non-permanent dermal fillers is that you can tweak them over time so they always look natural. In addition, if you decide that you do not want them anymore, the results will fade gradually.
Where can dermal filler be used?
Dermal filler is a very versatile and customisable treatment which can be used for a number of aesthetic purposes, we’ve outlined some of the most popular applications at the clinic:
- Non-surgical rhinoplasty: our cosmetic practitioners can use dermal filler to augment the nose without surgery such as smoothing out a bump.
- Cheek filler: carefully injected into the cheeks, dermal filler can help accentuate your cheekbones for a more youthful, contoured profile. In addition, by adding volume the upper but of the face, it can also lift sagging in the lower face.
- Lip filler: probably the most well-known treatment, by injecting filler into the lips practitioners can gently plump the lips and help sharpen the cupid’s bow. In addition, small injections of filler around the lip area can remove unwanted lines like smoker’s lines and marionette lines.
- Tear trough filler: unfortunately as we age we lose volume under our eyes causing eye hollows which in turn can make us look tired. Carefully administered injections to this area can restore volume and brighten the eye area by removing the shadows under the eyes.
- Hands: yes, you read that right! We can use dermal fillers on the hands to help hydrate and restore lost volume.
What do I need to think about when choosing a clinic?
Always ask what type of filler they use, we use only hyaluronic acid fillers and opt for ones that have been approved by the FDA.
However, the success of the treatment depends largely on the skills and the experience of the practitioner. Even if they have the best filler to hand, an inexperienced practitioner may not be able to get you the results you want. Whilst it is a non-surgical treatment, there are a number of risks involved so you need to make sure your face is in safe hands. Look for a practitioner who is medically trained and make sure that they are regulated by CQC to ensure that the highest standards of patient care are being met.
Ask to see before and after pictures achieved by the clinic – not stock ones supplied to them from the manufacturers. This is important as you need to pick a doctor whose aesthetic matches yours.
Posted: 12 October 2018